Yahoo Search Marketing – How to Upgrade
Do you do paid advertising on Yahoo?
If so, you need to be aware of their upcoming upgrade to a new platform.
What does upgrading involve? I’ve been working with the new Yahoo Search Marketing (YSM) for two days now. I’ve developed a pattern now, so I figured I’d share my method with you below. I hope it helps.
To start with, I first wrote about the upgrade when we saw a sneak preview at PubCon in Vegas. Even before then, we had signed up to be one of the first to upgrade and we got our invitation to start upgrading a couple weeks ago.
But now it is a reality. So here is the process we’re using…
1. Ready? Before you start, you need to make sure that you have been invited to upgrade. Login to your account. If you have a big yellow box at the top of your screen that says “Upgrade Your Account”, you are ready. If not, submit a request to upgrade here.
NOTE: If you are ready to upgrade, that yellow box will also tell you what your deadline is to upgrade.
2. Make a backup. Before you start upgrading, export all of your information to a file as a backup. Go to Manage Sponsored Search > Manage Categories. Select the All Listings radio button and press the DOWNLOAD button. Save the file.
3. Review your categories. If you don’t use categories, or don’t like the way your categories are setup, now is the time to fix it. Categories become campaigns when you upgrade. (This is similar to categories in AdWords) Fix them now if you don’t like them.
4. Group your keywords. Open the first category, and review the keywords. Determine which keywords can have the same ad (title, description, and landing URL). Select them and press EDIT LISTINGS and then MODIFY LISTINGS.
5. Modify your ads. On the MODIFY LISTINGS page, change the title to be something applicable for all the keywords you selected. Change the description to something 70 characters or less. Verify the URL. Then, copy all three down to the other keywords on the page.
NOTE: This is a critical step because these groupings will become Ad Groups. (Again, think of how Google AdWords works.) If you don’t do this step, you will have custom ad groups for each and every keyword. Of course, if you want that, go for it!
6. Wait. All these changes will need to go through editorial review.
7. Preview your upgrade. There is a button named PREVIEW in the big yellow box at the top of the page. Press it and check out your new YSM. Like it?
8. Upgrade. When ready, press UPGRADE NOW.
Hopefully, you are now working in the new Yahoo Search Marketing now.
Keep in mind that this is only the first part. In the first quarter of next year, the way they rank these keywords will change. We’ll have more on preparing for that later.
If you think the above is difficult or a pain, think of us. We have a dozen accounts to do. Some of them have hundreds of keywords. So far, I’ve got three done and plenty more to go.
If I don’t post anything the next few days, you’ll know what I’ve been doing. Upgrading!