What is a BarCamp event?
What is a BarCamp?
Very soon, the coordinators will post an agenda for the day.
(You can see a sample here.)
It will probably go something like this…
- Register in advance on the website for free.
- The morning of the event (Jan 24 for Charlotte), everyone will gather and there may be some introductions.
- Then, anyone that wants to lead a discussion on any topic will write it up on a whiteboard or poster on the wall.
- Everyone that attends will then have the opportunity to write their name under the topic they want to attend.
- Those topics that have enough interest will go to a specific location where the presentation/discussion will be.
Other things you should know:
- There is no cost to attend. You should register on the website.
- Generally, the topics tend to be Internet or IT related, but not necessarily.
- Anyone can start a topic and/or discussion. Others will help you.
- You can start pitching a topic you want to start on the website.
- The general atmosphere tends to be open and loose.
- Open Internet access will be available.
- It is not uncommon for people to record the discussions, take notes, or communicate via Web 2.0 or Social Media during the event.
Why is it called BarCamp?
- It has reference to the first ones that were probably originally held at a bar.
- The Charlotte BarCamp will probably have nothing to do with a bar or drinking.
I hope this helps clear up some confusion. I’m going to be leading a discussion on how to legitimately make money online.